Malva Pudding is a South African sweet dish. It’s such a famous dish that will fulfill your craving of sweet eating. Last year I visited Capetown, one day I badly wanted to eat something sweet to nurture my taste. So I went in the restaurant and ordered Malva. Actually I heard about this delicious food by my African friend. So when I tried it, it became my favorite dish of all time, and after coming back to my home I made this for my family and it become my Mom’s favorite dish, and now we make twice every month.
Let me first introduce this tasteful dish like origin, history etc then I will tell you the most easy recipe.
Who invented this dish?
It was first made by Maggie Pepler, she is the most well-known chief of South Africans famous desserts.
When was Malva pudding made?
Although this recipe has been around for a while, it really became popular in the 1980s, when restaurants, including Boschendal near Capetown, started to offer this apricot pudding on their Menu.
2 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
6 ½ ounces sugar ¾ cups, 350ml
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon butter
1 teaspoon vinegar
2 teaspoon apricot jam
3 large eggs
2 tablespoon apricot jam
2 ounces all-purpose floor 250gm
For the sauce;
¾ cup of fresh cream 250ml
4 ½ ounces butter 100g
4-5 ounces sugar 90-150g
1/3 cup hot water 90ml
3 teaspoon vanilla essence
How to Make?
● Preheat to 350 degree F. (Adjust your microwave oven accordingly)
● Beat or whip the sugar and eggs, beat until thick and lemon coloured,
Then add the jam and mix though.
● Simply mix together; the flour, soda and salt.
● Naturally melt the butter and add the butter and vinegar to the wet mixture.
● Add this mixture with the milk to the egg mixture. Beat well.
● Pour into an oven-proof dish and bake until pudding is brown and become puffy.
● In a pot, melt together the ingredients for the sauce and stir well.
● Pour it over the pudding as soon as it comes out of the oven
● Ready to serve.